GENERAL BUILDING GUIDELINES
The following list is by no means inclusive. Direct unanswered questions to the Fair office at (803) 799-3387 ext. 10.
- The Fairgrounds does not provide extension cords.
- Items may not be adhered directly to the walls (i.e., tape may not be used on the walls.)
- Items may not be hung from the ceilings.
- Chalk and blue "painters tape" are the only items authorized for use when marking the floor for exhibit space (with the exception of the Moore Building, which is carpeted. Best method in this building is laying out pieces of string.). The Fairgrounds does not provide these items. It is the show's responsibility to clean up the tape marks.
- Dogs or other pets are not allowed on the Fairgrounds unless these animals are contracted as part of the event or are assistance animals.
- Requests for equipment rental (tables, chairs, etc.) or services (220v electricity, forklift) must be made by the show promoter/coordinator. Individual exhibitors requesting these items will be directed to the show coordinator and any fulfilled requests will be added to the show's bill. The Fairgrounds does not bill individual exhibitors.
- Delivery of show items may begin on the show's designated exhibitor setup day. All deliveries must be received by the promoter or an exhibitor. Fairgrounds personnel will not sign for any deliveries.
- Tents must be secured with water barrels or cement blocks; stakes may not be driven into the pavement.
- Normal building rental hours are 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Requests
for building availability beyond these times must be made in
writing. A group's representative must be present for exhibitor
setup. Also, a representative must be present at teardown until all exhibitors have vacated the building.
Each function held on the Fairgrounds is required to provide liability insurance for bodily injury and property damage for the activity dates (including setup & teardown days). A Certificate of Insurance listing the State Agricultural and Mechanical Society of South Carolina as additional insured must be on file 30 days prior to setup. The certificate should provide combined single limit coverage of at least $1,000,000 for each occurrence with a 10-day cancellation clause.
The SC State Fair has a long-term exclusivity contract with Pepsi. Any event wich uses concession trailers as outside food vendors must require those vendors to use only 20 oz. Pepsi products, purchased through the fair.
The Fairgrounds has no "preferred caterer". If an event at the fairgrounds is catered, the caterer is required to pay a 10% facility usage fee. This fee is based on the caterer's final bill for an event. The caterer will be required to sign a separate contract with the Fairgrounds and also provide an insurance certificate as described above.
The layout of any event must be in accordance with the City of Columbia Fire Department's regulations. It is the promoter's responsibility to obtain the Fire Marshal's approval. The Fire Marshal can be contacted at (803) 545-3707.
The event organizer is responsible for providing parking attendants and security for their event. The SC State Fair reserves the right to use its own parking attendants, and charge for parking, should it determine such action is necessary. Call the Fair office to discuss your needs.
The Cantey, Ellison, and Moore Buildings are equipped with a P/A system. However, the Fairgrounds recommends contracting with an audio/visual company to provide a sound system for any entertainers or speakers that are contracted with your event. Call the Fair office for a referral. Mixing boards or other equipment cannot be tied into the Fairgrounds' sound system.
LOCAL SERVICE PROVIDERS
- Decorator/Pipe & Drape - Displays Unlimited (803) 253-8782
- Security - Richland County Sheriffs Deputies (803) 691-9000
- Insurance Call the Fair office for a referral
- Phone Service AT&T (803) 780-2800
* The show offices in the Cantey, Ellison, and Moore Buildings are equipped with phones for local calls. The show promoter is responsible for making arrangements to have lines run to individual exhibitors booths.
The following agencies may require special licenses/permits in order for your function to operate. The show promoter is responsible for obtaining the proper licenses.
- SC Department of Revenue - (803) 898-5660
- Alcoholic Beverage Licensing (803) 898-5864
- City of Columbia Business Licenses (803) 733-8310
- Health Department (SCDHEC) (803) 748-4995
Revised 1/6/10 - Subject to Change